Being from generation Y, termed the Echo Boomers. I am considered the first generation to grow up with the widespread presence of the internet. Now as I was growing up I can still remember going to the library to complete my assignment and to use the computer (yes if you can believe it). Now, many homes have more than one computer in every home and with the creation of ‘smart phones’ you can basically carry one in your pocket! Also did you know the first text message was delivered in 1992, I was not even aware of text message until 2005 and now I do not even have a landline at home. Would I be lost without the invention of the computer or a cell phone? Since I have grown accustomed to them the answer is YES. So much has changed over the years and I am sure when I turn 50 I will be wondering (as my parents and grandparents are today) were has the simplicity gone? We can go on for pages how technology advancements are never-ending. Todays computers are out of date by next week. So lets review how the internet has brought us into a whole new era:
- Trust in encyclopedias – When I was younger I would quickly head to the library to finish a project using encyclopedia Britannica. Now we don’t have to spend hours looking for information in our libraries, the information is available to us anytime with just one click of the mouse. Instant access to information has really empowered all of us. Although, I wonder how well you can trust sources found on the internet such as Wikipedia, which has a good chance of being written by a 12 year old child.
- Interesting Fact – You used to be able to spend hours with friends discussing the 1992 world series or who was the first astronaut to fly in space. Now someone just whips out their smartphone and does a search, where is the excitement in that?
- Listening to albums – When was the last time someone actually went to the store and bought a cd or a cassette tape?? Now you just pop onto iTunes, HMV, puretracks.com, etc… to purchase the latest singles and albums.
- Instant Messaging – includes a mix of online chat and mobile phone. Who ever thought we would need to include data plans on our phones for the need of checking our email 2, 3 or 10 times a day. With more and more people having their email connected to their phone, a notification would be send with every email received making email now instantaneous. This also speeding up and improving communications in the workplace.
- Social Media Networking – from Facebook to Twitter to Linked In. These have all increased the way we do business. From advertising to product information to keeping in contact with some of your best customers. It is no wonder many of us have personal and professional profiles.
Technology has and continues to change our lives. These are only some of the ways we are currently seeing change, probably the same way TV impacted those many years ago, I imagine. What did we do before this technology was invented? The Web does seem to be genuinely changing the world, and those companies and organizations not ready for it are dying as predicted. So no need to back your bags this weekend-spend it at the computer and lets embrace this forever changing technology.
– H. Corbett, APC Team